Pondicherry

Pondicherry
Auroville

Monday 25 February 2013

Leaving on a jet plane

..... This afternoon, to New Delhi. Really going to miss the South of India; been here in Tamil Nadu for the last three weeks. Been great catching up with old friends and acquaintances, and getting to meet many new contacts. Lots of stories heard, lots of tales to tell you, some incredible, some amazing, many heart-warming. We've got a lot of information to digest and to process. Hopefully our time in Delhi will help us to reflect on it all.

What I'm sorry to say is that the state of India is even worse than I imagined. Some of the folk we have met have managed to rise above it. Most have not. India boasts of itself that it is the largest democracy. Democracy comes at too great a cost for the majority of the population. I read yesterday that 60% of the world's poor are in India. From what we have seen and heard, that would appear to be correct.

Our time spent at Gurukul Lutheran Seminary yesterday proved to be a most - worthwhile exercise for us and, I'm pleased to say, for the staff and students. We've an open invitation to return! When I've had some time to make sense of my notes, I will post another blog about our time spent at Gurukul.

Meanwhile, back to the packing.

No comments:

Post a Comment