Pondicherry

Pondicherry
Auroville

Saturday 9 February 2013

Hello Everybody,

Just you wait till I get home to tell you just how much WORSE life is for the people who live in "Modern, Developing, Growing Economy India"!!!!!!

Had to get an auto-rickshaw to bring me five kilometers into a nearby town in order to get on to the internet, and had to pick my time because, here, as in common with most of India today, the power supply goes off several times a day, and you have to pick your time to go on the internet, boil a kettle, watch the television, go to the cinema.......

Arrived in Karigiri safely, although on the way, in trying to get directions for the driver on the last leg of the journey, my phone dropped out of the car, and before I knew it, it had gone. Thanks to Jan and Virgin, the phone has been blocked, and a SIM with the amount of credit I have is winging it's way homeward. However, an older mobile I have here with me, with about ten pounds credit, is going to be of little use, as I cannot buy a SIM card here without filling-in endless forms, and waiting for Government approval, which will take a minimum of three days, and might not happen at all. The reason? The Indian Government is paranoid about mobile phones since the Mumbai bombings, and there is no way that an Indian National, let alone a foreigner like me, can just go and buy a SIM card. Life is getting more and more frustrating for the ordinary folk here, and we've experienced only a little of it.

More in a moment.......

No comments:

Post a Comment